Knowing how to evaluating a Rolex Watch before making a purchase is smart. There are a number of Collectible Rolex watches that are worth handling before purchase. Of course this doesn’t apply to every single timepiece that is purchased, but if your buying from a private party these tips could save you some headache down the road.
- Check the model and serial number. Located between the case lugz at the 12 and 6 O’clock positions. To do this you’ll have to remove the Rolex bracelet which a jeweler can do for you if haven’t done this before. Once you have the numbers you’ll be able to understand what your the watch was manufactured and giving you a better idea of a price range.
- Physical Condition. Look over the watch. Are there scratches? Is the bracelet buckle working properly? Is there a “dedication” on the back case? All of these can give you bargaining room if you notice something that needs to be buffed out or fixed. I’m not saying every little nick knack needs to be mentioned, but if you see a deep scratch or imperfection somewhere you may want to mention it.
- Box and Papers. Having the box and papers is something that we hear about all the time. Truth be told most used watches don’t have their box and papers. They are out there, however; this isn’t the norm of the everyday sales. In fact the value doesn’t change either, but an original Rolex Box does run about $300 dollars.
- Diamond Dials and Diamond Bezels. You are going to pay a considerable amount more for these watches with original diamond dials and diamond bezels. The factory cut from Rolex is exquisite, but an affordable alternative is to have a jeweler replace the bezel. Yes yes, we hear that it voids the factory warranty, but we are talking mostly about pre owned watches here that have lost that a long time ago.
- Is the watch running? Check the time of the watch. When spending this much money it may be a good idea to take your time with the private party seller to check this. Set it the watch if it’s not set, and hang around for 10 or 15 minutes. Make sure the crown screws open and closed easily. Change the time and check from smooth mechanical movement.